Thursday, May 17, 2012

Kirl EDL 780 Blog Post #2

LaQuanda Kirk
Edl 780
Blog Post #2
Wright State University
Spring 2012
May 17th 2012

 Prompt 2:  Impact on Professional Practice
What are some things that you will implement (or have already implemented) and/or do differently regarding your interactions with children and/or adults resulting from your understandings of Payne's framework?
I want to start my year with a lesson on the importance of knowing and using formal register in the school and workplace.  I think that this will be an important lesson for students.  I also want to find a way to convey this idea to parents.  I would like to coordinate with the ninth grade administrator and  our building principal and form a parent group.  We would meet monthly and discuss issues of importance in the district, as well as the building.  I would like to start with a ninth grade group of parents and add on each year.  I would also like to do an orientation for parents outlining what is expected from their student and them as parents at the High School Level.  I would like to develop relationships.  I think that if I build relationships parents will be an ally with me with their students.  After reading Dr. Payne’s work, I understand that many parents really do not know middle class rules about engaging their children in education and learning.  I want to be a resource for students, parents and the community.  I want to match parents and students with services and information that they need to be successful in high school and beyond.
I would also like to help other teachers navigate this issue.  I would like to study as much as I can so that I can lead professional development regarding how to help students succeed .

Bibliography


Payne, R. K. (1996). A Framework for Understanding Poverty. Highlands, Texas: aha! process INC.

2 comments:

  1. LaQuanda,

    I think your desire to be a parental resource is admirable. However, I wonder how your monthly parent group would work out, since low income families are notorious for lowered parental involvement. How would you entice and convince the parents to attend these important meetings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea to start your year off teaching just what "formal register" is. I also like your idea to get parents involved and teaching them what "formal register" is as well. I think your idea to make parents your "allies" is going to be key to your success. Parents do not understand why we do or say what we say so informing them via parent meetings will be a challenge but one worth taking. So many parents had bad school experiences as students that they do not know how or want to what they need to do to help their children. It is up teachers to help parents and students see that it will take a team effort of parents, students, teachers, and administrators working together to increase student achievement. This is the area that the support of your building administrators is critical. I hope that you can also find ways to get the community involved. I would like to see the goverenment get involved with education by requiring parental involvement. Let them help schools tackle this problem and stop imposing so many other unrealistic measures on districts. This is one way the goverenment can help schools.

    ReplyDelete