LaQuanda Kirk
Edl 780
Blog Post #1
Wright State University
Spring 2012
May 17th 2012
Prompt 1: Key Understandings
As a teacher leader, what are three key understandings you learned from the Payne text that you would deem appropriate for sharing with a colleague, administrator, and/or parent? Describe why these understandings were selected.
One thing that I learned from the Payne text is that there are rules for poverty and rules for middle class, as well as rules for the wealthy. These rules differ and understanding of the rules is a major key to success. This is especially true for children who are born into poverty. (Payne, 1996) This is key information for me because I work in an urban school district where a majority of my students are considered to live in poverty. I found myself shaking my head in agreement as I read about how Ruby Payne describes the life of a family in poverty. This is crucial information that can help teachers reach students where they are and teach them what they need to know. This goes way beyond state standards into life lessons. These lessons can often be more valuable to an impoverished student depending on their situation
Another key understanding is that I gained from the Payne text is that students who come from poverty need to be taught middle class rules. On Page 86 Payne write that “students from poverty need to have at least two sets of behaviors from which to choose- one for the street and one for the school and work setting.” (Payne, 1996) I see this play out every day in my building and classroom. Students do not understand formal register and why it is important in a classroom and work setting. I try my best to explain this, but many times I feel like it falls on deaf ears. Reading Dr. Payne’s book helped me to know that I am not imagining things. It gave me new resolve to continue to help student understand the difference between formal and casual register and when to use each. I want to try the idea of having students write a piece in formal and casual register so that they can see the difference. (Payne, 1996)
The quiz about middle class values was a third key understanding. This quiz really helped me to see clearly that I was taught middle class rules. As I reflected on many of my students I can see that they are not aware of or choose not to follow certain middle class rules. This has helped me move from a place of judgment to a place of understanding and planning. As Dr.. Payne indicated in chapter one we do not need to punish students for not knowing the rules, but we must teach them and ask that they abide by them in school which represents a place of work and business for them. (Payne, 1996)
These understandings have helped me begin to plan changes in my teaching. I would like to incorporate character and social responsibility into my classes. I teach 9th graders, and out ninth grade administrator and I are already collaborating on a freshmen jumpstart orientation in which one whole week will be devoted to formal register and proper behavior in school. It will cover is topics like conflict resolution and appropriate school speech and behavior. I hope to use that opportunity to explain some of these rules and set up the expectations for success in High School. I hope to be one of the adults that my students can trust to lead them in the right direction.
I would like to get the parents involved by starting a PTA or parent counsel where administration , parents, students, and teachers can come together to hold each other mutually accountable for the success of our student, building, and district.
Bibliography
Payne, R. K. (1996). A Framework for Understanding Poverty. Highlands, Texas: aha! process INC.
No comments:
Post a Comment